Has Christian radio forgot about men/husbands/fathers?

Moderator: mdjmarketing

bc4jc4life

Has Christian radio forgot about men/husbands/fathers?

Post by bc4jc4life » Wed May 26, 2010 11:01 am

Hey all,

There has been a disturbing trend in Contemporary Christian radio for several years now: programming to the 25-54 female exclusively. How many ads have you seen here on AllAccess that start with, "Cay you relate to today's soccer Mom?", or "A complete understanding of the 25-54 year-old female is necessary....". Whatever happened to the men? Men listen to Contemporary Christian music.

I've had this conversation with more than one consultant and the overwhelming responses are, "Well, women control the checkbook, women get the kids ready for school, women run the household, women make the decisions" etc. When did men take a back seat? When did the Bible change and dismiss men from their responsibilities as husband and father, leader of their household? This doesn't mean men should be tyrants; far from it. But God has called men to lead their families. It seems to me the best path to follow when programming for CC is to find the common ground between men and women in the 25-54 group: marriage, children, work, morality. Some would say this "isn't focused". I would argue it is focused, and Biblical.

So, I ask again, when did Contemporary Christian radio begin pushing men aside and focusing on women exclusively? And is it right?

nardMuffin

Re: Has Christian radio forgot about men/husbands/fathers?

Post by nardMuffin » Thu May 27, 2010 4:34 am

Hey, fair question.

Is the answer or one possible answer because the women are the ones driving the little ones in the mini-vans to soccer practice and listening to the "safe for little ears" radio? That's a HUGE assumption and common stereotype, but does that help explain the bias?

Or do they target women because women are thought to be more picky (sorry, ladies) and guys will go with the flow in music? And the idea that men will go with the flow in music doesn't mean they are not leading their homes - maybe they pick their battles or maybe music is music, background noise (I'm just tossing ideas out there).

I can see where women are the ones getting the kids ready for school and handling the checkbook but maybe the consultant didn't actually MEAN that the women are making ALL the decisions for the household???? I don't know.

soundhound

Post by soundhound » Thu May 27, 2010 1:16 pm

But for that matter, is the music keeping pace?

Today's men (and women) listen to hiphop, alternative, active rock, dance and so many styles. Yet 90% of Christian radio is AC to Hot AC at best. I don't think most Christian radio appeals to men, Christian or seeking. I can count on one hand the Radio U and Renegade Radios of the world.

bc4jc4life

Post by bc4jc4life » Thu May 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi soundhound,

Excellent point. It is possible male listeners are leaving the Contemporary Christian format simply because the "sound" appeals more to women. It is OK to program to women and their interests, but CC programmers/consultants are still wrong when they attach values and beliefs to women/wives/mothers that are not Biblical. I think CC does a real disservice to its listeners when it talks constantly about "family friendly", but doesn't quite understand the dynamics of family as God designed it.

lawPro

Post by lawPro » Fri May 28, 2010 6:45 am

I had the same thought: most of the music is AC and appeals women, not so much men or even young adults. So I guess the consultants and programmers realize that and target them.

I've never considered the idea that they are targeting them as more leaders of the home. I can see your point but I can't see your point at the same time - I understand what you're saying as a matter of importance but I'm not sure I see it happening unless you read into it.

Is there a suggestion for how to change it?

bullfrogomaha

Post by bullfrogomaha » Fri May 28, 2010 8:17 am

When you think about it, in secular radio, formats other than rock and talk are all targeted at women. I'm dissapointed with christian stations that are marketed and imaged as a younger station and then share 75% of their playlist with Christian AC stations.

Men get left out with radio at most stations overall. At least where I work, we get alot of men that tune in during the week even though we target women. And when I host our Rock Block Fridays and Saturdays we get men calling in and requesting their favorite rock songs.

lawPro

Post by lawPro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 am

It's a good reminder that other formats also target women. It's not just Christian AC. So is it a matter of targeting women as heads of families or just a fact that women are targeted at radio? Is it a general belief that men just listen to sports, talk and rock radio?